- 175g (6oz) dried white beans, soaked in cold water overnight, then dried
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 400g (14oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 10 slices 'Performax' or 'rye Hi-Soy and Linseed' bread
Cook beans in a large saucepan of boiling water for 30 minutes; then drain well. In a casserole dish combine beans, passata, tomatoes, onion, herbs and vinegar. Cover casserole dish and cook at 180°C (350°F) for 1 hour. Remove lid, season, then cook for a further 30 minutes or until the beans are soft and sauce has condensed. Serve baked beans with slices of toasted Performax bread.
You can keep the baked beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze in single servings. To reheat frozen beans place in microwave on high for 6 minutes; stir twice during cooking.
Total cooking time: 12 hours soaking, 10 minutes preparation, 1.5 hours cooking